Sunday, February 7, 2010

One....is the lonliest number

Hello again!

Well, I am almost 1/3 of the way done with my training - and what a ride. Today I had my long run of the week - my RB had to study for a test, so I went solo (hence the title). I decided that since I don't know any great 5-mile routes, I would try my luck at the track behind the police station on Ann Edwards Lane. I figured, yeah, it'll be boring, but I can count down my laps and that might make 5 miles seem more manageable. Last time we were scheduled for a long run, I was a little "under the weather" and then last week I really was under the weather. So this was my longest run to date. 20 laps. It was pretty boring. But, I got through it, and only walked 3 times, about 1/2 a lap each time. My time was not great, but you know what they say: slow and steady wins the race! Although I'm sure I won't be winning any races at a pace of 12 minutes/mile.

This week we bump things up a big - 4 miles Monday and Wednesday and 6 on Saturday. On Tuesday, I have a work meeting until 6 and bible study at 7, so I am going to get up in the morning and run my 2 miles on the treadmill. I used to do this a lot (I say a lot, but it was probably like 10 times total), so it shouldn't be that difficult. Stay tuned.

I know I promised some info on the new bible study - my sister and I had been trying to find a church down here for a while now - we grew up Methodist, but were not limiting ourselves to a Methodist church, although that is what we tried at first. Then we went to a Presbyterian church that we really liked, but didn't have a whole lot of young people like us - definitely some high schoolers, but no college age or young adults. We had both heard good things about St. Andrews church in the Old Village, so we decided to try it out. My running mentor, JAM, goes there, and we were going to tag along with him, but he was running late, so we just snagged a seat in the back, where we ran into an old friend (and former junior tennis doubles partner) of mine, Tyler. She and her friend had just started there as well, and were joining a bible study that same week called "Girls on the Run" - made up of girls mostly our age, and with very active and busy lifestyles, who meet once a week downtown.

So Pookie and I gave it a shot, and it was awesome! We start out with about 20 minutes of worship time, which involves turning the lights down and the music up - some people journal during this time, but most of us just sit quietly, eyes closed, and clear our minds for the lesson. This past week, the playlist contained one of my all-time favorite songs, Grace. It was a version I'd never heard before, but it was great just the same - I even sang along! We are studying John and learning about the kind of man Jesus was. At the end, we all take a Post-It and write our name at the top and our specific prayer requests for the week, then put them in a pile and pick a new one and pray for that person. Its really great, and we're meeting new people and reconnecting with old friends.

I promise some new info on Habitat in the next post - maybe Tuesday? Y'all come back now, ya hear?

XOXO

No comments:

Post a Comment