Tuesday, February 23, 2010

The best things in life are(n't) free!

The time has come for me to impose on all my closest friends and family - and their closest friends and family. My Habitat money is due 45 days before departure, which means I need to have my fundraising completed ONE MONTH from YESTERDAY! Literally. It's due on the 23rd of March. 27 days. So, here's my plea:

My trip to Guatemala with Habitat for Humanity is going to be awesome. Not only are we (currently the team has 26 participants) helping to build affordable housing for the citizens of Guatemala, but before we begin our work we will be running a half marathon in Coban. That's what makes this trip extra special, and this is also the reason I picked it. As most of you know, I'm currently in training for the Music City Half Marathon in Nashville on April 24th. A mere 3 weeks later, I will be running the Coban Half in Guatemala, and then working alongside the recipients of the Habitat house we are building. Below is a picture of Coban. Looks hilly, huh? Also looks tropical - I believe I saw the word "rainforest" somewhere in the description of the run...yikes.



The total trip cost is $1,500 - so far, I have raised $488 - to the left you will see my handy dandy fundraising "thermometer." I will update this tool after every single donation I receive. Here's where you come in! I am asking for everyone to donate $13 - this represents the number of miles in a half-marathon. Well, actually, if we want to get technical, you can each donate $13.10, but beggars (literally!) can't be choosers. I figure if I can get 100 people to donate $13, I'll be all set! Feel free (very free) to donate more, but any size donation will be so greatly appreciated.

Ways to donate:
1) Give me your winning Powerball lottery ticket, valued at $24 million - trust me, your money will be well-spent;
2) Visit my fundraising page here - if you choose this method, the money goes straight to Habitat (and not to my next vacation in Hawaii) and is also tax deductible (score!), or
3) Check (made out to Habitat for Humanity International) mailed directly to me - for mailing address, please email me at jennifer.m.waller@gmail.com

Please pass this website and/or blog around to anyone you think may want to help - I'm 32.5% of the way there, with only 27 days to go! Remember to check back often for updates on my progress in both the world of running and fundraising...and ps - my legs hurt, but I'm still trucking along! Another 4 miles tonight :)

XO!

2 comments:

  1. Love the thermometer! Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are doing an awesome job fundraising! Maybe you have a development job with Habitat in your near future. If I win the Powerball I will gladly pay for your trip.

    ReplyDelete