Friday, October 23, 2009

The first run of the rest of your life...


Here is a (not very good) picture of the bridge I have been running, the Arthur Ravenel, Jr. bridge, for those of you who may not know what it looks like. For any of you nerds out there (you know who you are), this bridge is currently the longest cable-stayed bridge in the country, with a main span of 1,546 feet and total length of 13,200 feet (approximately 2.5 miles). With that said, the above picture does not show either of the entrances to the bridge, pedestrian or vehicular. Please keep in mind that entrance ramps are part of the "bridge run" I will talk about frequently. Also, the ramps are the hilly parts, which is important to note.

So, last night I had my first solo bridge run experience. I have walked the bridge alone many times, but never attempted to run...I told you I was lazy. With great intentions and gusto, I skillfully began running up the first incline on the Mt. Pleasant side of the bridge (right side of the picture). Disclaimer: I began my ascent at 5:45, when traffic was at its peak. Being the awkward and self-conscious girl that I am, this freaked me out. I think it also helped me and here's why: even though I was absolutely dying running up this "big" hill, I wouldn't stop because I thought about all the cute boys in their cars driving home from work, and what would they think if I stopped running?? That only worked until 3/4 of the way up the hill when the traffic wasn't stopped, and then I totally quit.

I was so winded (I'm being brutally honest here) that I had to walk the rest of the way up the hill and even stop to stretch, aka catch my breath, at Diamond A (right side). I began my running again at Diamond B (left side) and ran nearly all the way to the usual "turn-around" place. Then, like a loser, I turned around and walked ALL THE WAY back up to Diamond A. I have never been more disappointed in myself. I realized just how hard this is going to be if I don't have someone there pushing me to go just a little bit more, just a little bit longer - at least in the beginning. To console myself, I ran all the way back down to my car from Diamond A and that made me feel marginally better, but not totally because that downhill run is so easy my friend's one-year-old could do it and he can't even walk yet.

This weekend I am headed home to Columbia, where I plan to run around my neighborhood, maybe even up "Death Hill." I kid. Speaking with my dad this morning, who had a hip replacement in January (no, he's not old, but 30+ years of running and other factors contributed), we discussed my trip home and how we both wished he was able to run with me this weekend. In order to satisfy my need to run with a companion, I joined the Charleston Running Club, a group who meet on different days and times for different lengths of runs. It will be a while before I run with them, because the shortest run is 5 miles. More on that as it happens.

Oh, I promised hints on the surprise. Here is the first: I am going to need to learn at least conversational Spanish. I can't say anymore until I know some more, but trust me, if everything works out, you people are going to be in for a big surprise.

1 comment:

  1. Yay for surprises and adventures! I heart the blog! Run, Jenny, run!

    ReplyDelete