Monday, January 11, 2010

Well, HELLOOOOOO big dollop!

That part of The Holiday is one of the best. For those of you who don't know that movie line by line like me, I'll fill you in. Miles (Jack Black) and Iris (Kate Winslett) are in Blockbuster in LA and Miles has just gone to get coffee/some frothy beverage for them, and he comes back and says "I didn't know if you wanted a big dollop of whipped cream or a little dollop, so I got bo...." and Iris grabs the one with the big dollop and Miles says "Well, HELLOOOOOO big dollop!"

That's what I feel like right now. My sister and I were just musing (big word) about how we are surprised we didn't turn out to be obese children/young adults. With all the ice-cream-for-breakfast overnight trips to Memaw's, cookie-line back-stabbings-with-a-fork (every night, it seemed - not the stabbings, but the cookies), gigantic spoonfuls of chocolate icing for an afternoon snack, it really is a wonder we (I) aren't overweight. And while I have gotten somewhat better at controlling my raging sweet tooth, it is still always lurking around a corner, threatening to throw me completely off track. And you know what? Sometimes I let it.

Example: Friday afternoon/evening was an absolute disaster. A lot of bad news was floating around the airwaves. I had to go pick up a few things for Pookie the invalid, and while I was at the grocery store, I saw some "triple chocolate cookies" that looked just divine. So, I bought them - thinking, "These will be great when I want something sweet, and I won't eat a whole cake." Well, by the time I had gotten out of the store and over to Pookie's, I had eaten 6 cookies. I have absolutely no willpower when its sitting right there in front of me. So, that is my next mission: to resist any and all over-indulgence in temptation, including (but not limited to) chocolate-chip cookies, triple chunk brownies, devil's food cake with butterscotch and butterfinger topping (cough, roomie), cupcakes from down the street at Cupcake, cupcakes from anywhere, candy bars, gloopy squares, chocolate-covered raisins, chocolate-covered cherries, chocolate-covered-anything-of-any-kind, etc.

Whew. Wish me luck. Now, in the world of running. Last week was great! With my calculation error on Tuesday, I ran a total of 10.5 miles, which is 1.5 miles less than I was supposed to run, but still - Rome wasn't built in a day, people. Thursday's and Saturday's runs were great because of a new running buddy! A friend from college heard through my friend Boe that I was just starting to train, and she had been looking to get back into running, so voila! She lives right near my office downtown, so its super convenient, and she has some great routes already mapped through the City! Running through downtown is much better than I thought - we head down quiet streets with little traffic, PLUS, sometimes we have to stop to cross a semi-busy street, and man, does that feel good. Saturday's 4-miler was such a great feeling, even though it was only 36 degrees. I'm still having to stop a few times to catch my breath, but I'm working on that.

Anyway, there you go, you're updated, are you happy?! I kid. This week's schedule, so that you can follow along and keep me accountable is below. Also, check out Mexi's new blog here - say hi and welcome her to the Blog world!

Monday: 3 miles
Tuesday: 2 miles or cross
Wednesday: 3 miles + strength
Thursday: rest
Friday: 30 min. cross
Saturday: 4 miles
Sunday: Stretch/strength

Ciao!

No comments:

Post a Comment