Monday, November 2, 2009

Bridge Run: FAIL!

Well, not really fail. Thursday was a weak attempt at running the bridge - we ran for probably 10 minutes total. No big deal - walking briskly is still good, right? Over the weekend, I was at home again visiting family and ended up running the Lake Murray Dam with one of my best friends, Mexi, on Saturday morning. The portion that we ran was about 2 miles total, but we ran the entire way, minus a 45-second walk after we turned around. Sure did start the day off right!

So, Gilly has given me permission to tell you about something that happened last week. It involves the importance of stretching. Actually, that's all it is. Read on...

Last week, after those killer runs on Monday and Wednesday (and my solo run at the gym on Tuesday), I was majorly stoked (shout out to LA-based BFF, hence-forth known simply as "Little Hippie") about the possibility of running the entire bridge on Thursday. Gilly was pretty excited about it, too. We've started doing a minimal amount of stretching our legs out at the end of our runs, just on the sidewalk at the base of the bridge. Let me paint you a picture:

Sorry, most of the time I think I'm a lot funnier than I actually am. Couldn't resist.

Anyway, before our runs, I usually have time to run home and change and I do some stretching before Gilly calls and I go to meet her. So I do stretches before our run, with Gilly immediately after our run, and then when I get home before I shower, I do them again. Gilly has reported that she has only been stretching when we finish our run, that little bit before we get in our cars and leave. Not a big problem, right? WRONG! Since we are just starting out, and trust me, I am in no way an expert on this, its very important to stretch these muscles out. I have had hardly any muscle soreness/tightness since beginning, and that is not necessarily the case when you don't stretch. Honestly, most of the reason I stretch before the run is that I am bored and have seen in movies that they do that, and the reason I stretch after the run is that I am too hot and sweaty to take a shower immediately. I literally stumbled upon this discovery. To conclude, stretching is important.

I can finally begin to slowly fill you in on the surprise I mentioned a while back. The first hint was that I was going to need to learn Spanish. The second hint is that I will be revisiting some of my favorite times in my childhood, or high school rather, and will need to brush off my construction skills. Yes, I am quitting my job and becoming a construction worker! No, not really. But, I did just find out yesterday that this surprise is definitely going to happen, so I plan to fill you in one blog post at a time. I love a good guessing game, and hope you do, too! Feel free to post guesses (and you can't cheat and spoil the fun if you already know what it is - aka Gilly, Curly, Mexi, Mom and Dad!) in the comments section.

XOXO (Gossip Girl tonight at 9!)

No comments:

Post a Comment